|at Prolific Academic (view profile)|
|Date Posted||5th March 2018|
Prolific (www.prolific.ac) brings people together to power the world’s research. It is the first scientific, highly scalable, ethical participant recruitment platform for researchers around the world. Quantitative and qualitative researchers, data scientists, and entrepreneurs all need valid and reliable data sources to make predictions about human behaviour, social change, and global developments. Thanks to our online platform, researchers collect responses fast and participants earn cash rewards for themselves or for charity. It takes 5 minutes to start data collection, there's no middleman, and the product easily integrates with any survey software. In a world of unreliable results, Prolific makes data trustworthy and connects the public with science.
At the core of Prolific is our fast growing platform which connects thousands of researchers with tens of thousands of participants. This allows researchers to screen for samples of verified participants, manage the process of running studies with them online and paying them.
You’ll play a key role in helping us develop the platform and supporting technologies, take ownership of development of new features, solve difficult technical challenges, be part of architectural decisions and planning around scaling our throughput by 10-100X, investigate the suitability of new technologies and approaches, and be part of a fast growing team and company.
The ideal candidate will have worked in a developer/software-engineering role for at least 3+ years, including preferably at other high growth startups and will be looking for a role that combines backend feature development, developing distributed and resilient infrastructure, and improving the teams DevOps and processes. We value a broad range of experience and skills, the salary is negotiable based on experience and very senior candidates are also encouraged to apply.
This is your chance to get involved in a fast-moving startup where you’ll have huge influence over the trajectory of the product. Since it’s a startup, you’ll have the opportunity to suggest how you can best add value, and make any recommendations about improving the processes and product. We're a fast-growing company and we want to help you grow with us.
- Plan and implement complex features - Working with both new and existing features to add new functionality, and improve existing, with our users in mind.
- Architectural planning and performance optimisation to keep our application scaling as we grow
- Managing deployments and implementing continuous integration processes
- Reviewing work of other team members
- Discussing features and business decisions
- Fixing bugs/Writing tests
- Help provide technical support to customer facing staff investigating issues
These some of the tools and frameworks we are use, however we aren’t wedded to any particular technology. Experience with these tools is valuable, but we are also interested in what you like to use and why.
Experience working with Python in web development (ideally Django/Flask)
Experience in creating secure, high-performance web applications
- Experience several of the following, or similar technologies:
- NoSQL databases (ideally mongoDB)
- Relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL)
- RESTful services using JSON
- Cloud services (Azure/AWS/GCP)
- Knowledge of best practices such as automated testing and continuous integration
- Strong communication skills: the ability to clearly articulate your choices and the reasons behind them
- If you aren’t completely confident that you fit our exact criteria, please get in touch, driven, self-motivated candidates are encouraged to apply
- Dev Ops and infrastructure architecture experience
- Experience of data and application migrations
- Experience from a startup or a fast-growing company
- Experience of automated testing and continous integration
- Experience of working in Agile teams
- Team Leading/Mentoring experience
- Interest in or knowledge of the academic research sector
- You can get excited about the prospect of growing into a leadership role
- Enjoy being a generalist, self-driven and autonomous.
- Salary: £40,000-50,000+, negotiable based on experience, qualifications, and location plus:
- Share options (between 0-1%)
- Pension (employer contribution 1% of base salary; rising to 3% from 04/2018)
- Flexible working: Work equipment of your choice, you can work flexibly from home or from our coworking space, flexible hours
- 25 days holiday per year, plus bank holidays
- Flexible budget for any books and/or educational material
- Personal growth opportunities (e.g., learn about the startup ecosystem, mentoring from executive team, learn about psychological science and research methods)
- Open, transparent, and inclusive culture
- Self-made cider and home-baked cookies
You’ll be joining an enthusiastic team of seven based in Oxford, UK (although two of us work remotely, in Glasgow and Newcastle).
Please apply via this link https://prolificac.workable.com/jobs/675410/candidates/new