|at Oxford University Press (view profile)|
|Date Posted||5th July 2018|
Oxford University Press (OUP) is a department of the University of Oxford, which furthers the University’s objective of excellence in research, scholarship, and education by publishing worldwide.
The Dictionaries Division publishes the flagship online products Oxford English Dictionary (OED) and Oxforddictionaries.com, leads innovation in digital lexical publishing and licensing working with the world’s largest technology and information providers, and is launching new initiatives including the Oxford Global Languages (OGL) programme which will develop digital lexical resources with communities across a wide range of languages.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Software Developer within the Systems Development team of the Dictionaries Division. You will work in a cross-functional agile team and be part of an expanding digital business in a division with a “start-up” culture. We are a collaborative team where everyone contributes their ideas and we aim to continuously improve our systems and processes. The team make use of modern development and DevOps approaches and cloud deployment technologies (e.g. Python, Docker, Kubernetes, ElasticSearch, Amazon Web Services, Ansible). We utilise agile development methods (e.g. Continuous Integration/Delivery, Acceptance Test Driven Development, strong testing), Devops and extensive automation to allow us to achieve great results.
We’re looking for someone who relishes a challenge and is willing to tackle interesting complex tasks, contribute to the overall strategies of the team, and learn on the job. A solid understanding of software engineering, APIs, and platform development is much more important to us than expertise in any specific language or tool. You should appreciate working on a variety of things and using different technologies, and have enough experience to pick the appropriate tool for the issue at hand.
Within the Dictionary System Development team, you will be building platforms including LEAP (Lexical Engine and Platform) along with the associated APIs, which will make lexical data available externally to partners, customers, and 3rd party developers and services as well as internally to OUP. The platforms we build are deployed in the cloud using modern database and search engine technologies and providing REST APIs.
- Software design and development alongside creating automated unit and acceptance tests.
- Scripting of testing, deployment and cloud environment creation in CI tools for code and data.
- Developing language data APIs.
- Supporting production systems and ensuring they are running efficiently and fixing outages.
- Maintenance and improvement of existing systems.
- Investigation and prototypes for using new technologies, libraries and tools.
- Performance/load testing of systems.
- Continuously refactoring and improving existing code. Reviewing other team members code.
IF YOU HAVE THE TALENT AND DESIRE TO PARTICIPATE IN A TEAM TO DELIVER HIGH QUALITY, INNOVATIVE SOLUTIONS, THEN PLEASE APPLY TO JOIN US.
To be successful in this role you must have:
- Considerable experience with Python and other high level languages
- A degree in Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, or similar, and/or several years of experience in the field
- Experience with DevOps processes, build tools (Pip, Docker, Ant, Ansible, etc.) and Continuous Integration tools (Jenkins, Hudson, etc.)
- Experience with Docker containers and repositories
- Experience with Cloud Deployment environments e.g. AWS, Azure
- Ability to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team
- Experience with database technologies – NoSQL and SQL
- Experience with Agile software development methods
- Behavior-driven development and/or test-driven development
- Experience working with data in XML and JSON
- Interest in expanding knowledge and learning new skills
- Good written and verbal communication
Bonus points for:
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Experience working with JSON databases and ElasticSearch
- API design and development
- Knowledge of XSLT & other XML technologies
- Experience in data transformation and manipulation (ETL)
- Python Web frameworks such as Flask, Django
- Big Data and/or Open Data experience
For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org