|at Prolific Academic (view profile)|
|Date Posted||29th October 2018|
|Never Expire||Never Expire|
In this role you will be responsible for managing and implementing Prolific’s user research. You will conduct research with existing and potential new users of Prolific using a wide variety of qualitative methods and a subset of quantitative methods, such as A/B tests. To flourish in this role, it’s key that you love research and are curious about people and their behaviour. More precisely, your primary goal will be to understand the wants, needs, and priorities of our users in order to help inform our product design and improve our UX. In this role you will report all key insights gained from user research to the executive team, product design team, and marketing team, which will shape future strategic decisions.
Working closely with our product team, marketing team, and developers you will work towards these key goals:
- Define, conduct, analyse, and report on user-centred design research and usability testing in order to acquire a deep understanding of the people that already use Prolific (i.e., researchers and participants) as well as of potential new users of Prolific
- Help determine how to make our product more user-friendly, how to enhance our UX, and how to make Prolific more accessible and appealing to more people
This will likely involve some or all of the following:
- Acquire a broad but also deep understanding of the motivations and behaviours of our users (both researchers and participants): How do they realise value provided by Prolific? Which frustrations and challenges do researchers and participants face when using Prolific, and what could be solutions to these?
- To answer the above questions, you will use qualitative research methods (e.g., user interviews) and where appropriate, quantitative research methods (e.g., surveys, A/B tests). You will work closely with our product team to identify research topics and design studies.
- Using appropriate tools you will turn the research data you collect into clear findings that inform decisions. To do so, you will apply basic techniques for analysing research data and know how to involve colleagues in analysis and synthesis to challenge assumptions and increase consensus.
- You will be able to present clear findings that colleagues can understand and use.
- In order to enhance our UX, you will define interaction models and user task flows. You will develop and maintain design wireframes, mockups, and specifications in order to propose how Prolific’s UX could best be improved.
- You will participate in all phases of our product, from discovery to delivery to iteration. For instance, based on the user research you conduct, you will draft concrete proposals for how to improve the product in order to enhance usability. Then, working closely with our product designers, engineers, and marketers, you will discuss and decide which product implications the user research is going to have.
- You are interested in and keen to understand Prolific’s mission, organisational strategy and objectives, so you are able to align the user research activities with the objectives to create strategic insights that inform decision making.
- Salary: £35,000-45,000 (p.a.), negotiable based on experience and qualifications, plus:
- Pension (employer contribution 3% of base salary)
- Flexible working: Work equipment of your choice, you can work flexibly from home or from our coworking space, flexible hours
- 25 days holiday per year, plus bank holidays
- Flexible budget for any books and/or educational material
- Personal growth opportunities (e.g., learn about the startup ecosystem, mentoring from executive team, learn about psychological science and research methods)
- Open, transparent, and inclusive culture
- Self-made cider and home-baked cookies :-)
How we interview & hire
Our hiring process usually begins with an introductory online interview to help you get to know us better, and vice versa. At this stage, we would like to better understand your motivation for the role, get to know about your interests and personality, and learn about any relevant past experience or skills you might have. If this initial interview is successful, we'd then invite you to complete an assignment (<2 hours, you'll be compensated for the time spent), which will be reviewed by our team. This will be followed by an in-depth, face-to-face interview in Oxford, UK, which will provide an opportunity to discuss the assignment, explore value fit, which incentives you care about, and learn how you would work with the team on a daily basis.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
This is your chance to get involved in a fast-moving startup where you’ll have huge influence over the trajectory of the product and company. Since it’s a startup, you’ll have the opportunity to suggest how you can best add value, and make any recommendations about how to improve our processes and the product. You’ll be joining a semi-remote team of 12 primarily based in Oxford, UK (although some of us work remotely in London, Glasgow and Newcastle). We're a fast-growing company and we want to help you grow with us.