|Date Posted||10th June 2019|
Oxford Summer Courses is in the process of developing a suite of online courses to open up its exceptional educational experiences across the globe. This role will be vital to the development of these courses, working within an entirely new Agile Scrum team, within a sprint rhythm. The team is tasked with creating, testing, and launching an entirely new educational product to complement Oxford Summer Courses’ high quality in person courses. Work can be remote or in person, but remote workers must be able to travel occasionally to Oxford for meetings.
Initially for 12 weeks, with a possibility for later contract extension.
We are looking for a Back-End Web Developer responsible for managing structures for the interchange of data between the server and users. Your primary focus will be development of all server-side logic, definition and maintenance of the central database, ensuring high performance, and responsiveness to requests from the front-end. You will also be responsible for integrating the front-end elements built by other team members into the application. A basic understanding of front-end technologies is therefore necessary as well.
- Integration of user-facing elements developed by front-end developers with server side logic;
- Building or integrating reusable code and libraries;
- Optimization of the application for maximum speed and scalability;
- Implementation of security and data protection;
- Design and implementation of data storage solutions.
Skills and Qualifications
- Good understanding of server-side CSS pre-processors, such as LESS and SASS;
- Understanding accessibility and security compliance;
- User authentication and authorization between multiple systems, servers, and environments;
- Management of hosting environment, including database administration and scaling an application to support load changes;
- Data migration, transformation, and scripting;
- Setup and administration of backups;
- Outputting data in different formats via API;
- Understanding differences between multiple delivery platforms such as mobile vs desktop, and optimizing output to match the specific platform;
- Creating database schemas that represent and support business processes;
- Implementing automated testing platforms and unit tests.