|Date Posted||11th November 2019|
|Never Expire||Never Expire|
As Geospatial Software Engineer you will be an integral part of our Geospatial Intelligence Team and have the chance to work within emerging and recently maturing technology areas, such as AI (Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing and Computer Vision), DataCubes and managing “Big Data”.
A successful candidate will provide Geospatial-specific expertise within an agile software development life-cycle and contribute to the best practices and standards used by the team as a whole. The role provides an opportunity to contribute to building innovative geospatial solutions, demonstrators & prototypes and provide technical expertise and advice to internal and external partners.
You will be responsible for the design, development, and implementation of geospatial software solutions as well as consultancy and outreach to the UK space sector. This role is primarily responsible for development of desktop, web-based or mobile GIS solutions.
You will be comfortable working with a range of programming languages, tools, technologies, data and above all, excited about learning and developing expertise in new areas.
In addition to providing amazing engineering solutions, you may be required to provide some support, troubleshooting, modifications, enhancements and maintenance for existing GIS applications, scripts, tools and web services within the Catapult’s technical landscape.
Required Skills and Experience:
We are looking for a broad range of experience from (not exclusive to it and certainly not all but some) the following list:
- Geospatial Technologies such as ESRI ArcGIS Desktop and Server, Google Earth Engine, QGIS, MapInfo, ENVI, FME Desktop, FME Server, GeoServer, GIS and EO data portals and providers, DigitalGlobe GBDX
- Database Software such as PostgreSQL/PostGIS, MS SQL Server, NoSQL
- Demonstrable experience of crafting and developing geospatial applications
- Application design, development and collaboration in, often distributed, team environments using source control and unit testing
- Development and implementation of test plans and automated test scripts
- Peer review of work created by colleagues
- Developing and applying service orientated architectures to enterprise solutions
- Familiarity with standard software development protocols and coding standards
- Application documentation including system design and technical specifications
- Excellent communication skills and ability to discuss technical issues with people from a non-technical background
- Ability to work well under pressure, while retaining focus and composure
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines
- Knowledge, experience and continued interest in Geospatial trends, best practices and technologies
Some great to have(s):
- AI (Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing and Computer Vision) knowledge/interest
- Experience in agile software development frameworks and methodologies
- Additional languages can be advantageous as we are an organisation that liaise globally.
- You can communicate through sketching and whiteboard markers as if they are a natural extension of your hand
If you are up for the challenge and thrive in a fast-paced and creative environment apply with your CV, cover letter and a link to your digital portfolio.