|Date Posted||17th January 2018|
|Never Expire||Never Expire|
Senior Django Developer
Full-time, on-site in our Oxford office. Partial remote working is an option.
About the job
Django developers are primarily responsible for all the server side code, database management and operations.
- Building complex features - Working with both new and existing features to add new functionality our users will love.
- Performance optimisation - With over 1000 requests every minute, it is important to ensure that our website is as efficient as possible. We aim for a response time around 750ms for most requests, but we are always looking to improve.
- Writing algorithms - Analysing the behaviour and success of our users to continue to highlight quailty work on the site, and identify content they might be interested in.
- Mentoring - Help other members of the team to learn and be productive.
- Reviewing work - Every piece of code, whoever it is written by, gets reviewed by someone before it goes live. This improves the quality and can also be a great learning experience.
- Discussing features - All members of the team are involved with discussions about the problems we are trying to solve, and how we are going to solve them.
- Fixing bugs - Sadly, code is not perfect. Track down and squash bugs to make sure the site keeps ticking, and write regression tests to ensure the issues cannot return.
We are looking for individuals with experience working on data driven websites. You should always be thinking about edge cases and performance. You should enjoy working with open source code, but know when we need to roll our own.
The main responsibility of the role will be writing code for the backend of our website. We are a small team so are interested in candidates with a range of additional skills, such as front end engineering, ops, native app development, project management, data analysis, product strategy and documentation. We are excited to see what you can bring to the team.
Photocrowd values diversity in the team and is open to people from all backgrounds.
An interest in photography isn’t essential, but would be a welcome bonus!
Photocrowd is a world-leading platform for hosting and taking part in photo contests and awards, and a social network for over 100,000 photographers around the globe.
Launched in 2013, the business is growing quickly, with exciting plans for the future. Currently just a browser app, our first native mobile app is scheduled to be outsourced for construction and launch in 2018.
Our business model is based on freemium user subscriptions and paid entry to contests and awards. We have 5 full-time staff in a Central Oxford office.
Here are some of the tools and frameworks we are using in production. We aren’t wedded to any particular technology and are always looking to use the best the community can offer. Experience with these tools is valuable, but we are also interested in what you like to use and why.
We have a lot of other tools in our stack. Experience with any of these is a bonus.
- Salary of £35-50k depending on experience
- EMI share options scheme
- Company culture of maintaining a good work/life balance
- Agile and inclusive processes: everyone helps shape what we work on, and the pace of development means you will get to see your ideas live quickly
- Be part of a friendly and driven team that are creating a beautiful, useful product that’s making life better for photographers around the world
- Learn by doing stuff you’ve never done, in collaboration with the rest of the team
If you’re excited by the prospect of joining the team, we’d love to hear from you. Drop us an email with some details about you and why you are interested in working with us. If you want to find out more about the role or the company first, email the Lead Developer Marc Tamlyn (email@example.com) who’ll be happy to answer your questions.